Highlights of the EVD or E-Plague(CDC, BBC, WHO, AP News)
1. Starting in December 13, 2013, there were multiple deaths from an unknown cause that did not appear to mimic the other deaths.
2. Initially, health workers were unaware of the Ebola pathogen while they attended to their patients. These healthcare workers would later become infected and transmitted the disease to others.
3. In a country where deaths from endemic diseases are frequent, death can desensitize the public. The Gueckedou province was so accustomed to people dying from endemic diseases that the "alarm" just still did not sound off.
4. Isolation: It is two-hour ride, on a "pothole" infested dirt road, from Meliandou to the closest neighboring town.(Poor excess)
5. With ideal forestation, Meliandou is a great location to attract the fruit bat.
6. The Gueckedou province of Guinea is in proximity to Sierra Leone and Liberia. Crossing the borders between these countries is relatively innocuous. Thus making the dissemination of the disease relatively innocuous.