Volunteer Tip of the Day:
As many individuals seek volunteer opportunities outside of their normal realm, they may also encounter environments that are devoid of safety monitoring equipment such as carbon monoxide monitors.
According to the CDC, each year in the USA there are approximately 20,000 emergency room visits, 4000 hospitalizations, and more than 400 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide(CO) poisoning not linked to fires. These facts make carbon monoxide poisoning the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the USA. Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless and odorless gas. It is formed during the burning of a material. The Minnesota Department of Health states that more CO is produced when there isn’t enough oxygen for efficient burning. Sources of CO include kerosene heaters, gas cooking stoves, fireplaces, charcoal grills, wood stoves, power generators, and camp stoves. According to the CDC, "the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.”
The best way to fight CO poisoning is with prevention.
*No one should ever use a fuel combustion generator indoors (even with open windows and doors)
*Ensure adequate ventilation around any heating or cooking source
*Use a carbon monoxide monitor