The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) list 10 ways that healthcare providers can use to help protect their patients from infections.
1. Wash or clean your hands before and after you for care a patient.
2. Use personal protective equipment the right way.
3. Get your shots—including your annual flu shot—and make sure everyone in your family does too.
4. Follow the rules of isolation for the patient’s protection, your protection, and everyone else’s protection.
5. Follow safe injection practices—remember One needle, One syringe, Only one time.
6. Make patient identification a priority: right drug, right time, right dose.
7. Keep the patient’s room and equipment clean.
8. Know when antibiotics are appropriate . . . and when they are NOT.
9. What you wear matters! Make sure your attire does not become a source of infection.
10. Know about infection preventions.
InfectionControl.tips Center for Infectious Disease Research APIC - Infection Prevention and You #infection #infectious