Hand sanitizers are efficient and inexpensive goods that can decrease microorganisms on the skin, but ingestion or inappropriate use can be connected with health risks. Researchers; Cynthia Santos, MD; Stephanie Kieszak, MPH; Alice Wang, Ph.D.; Royal Law, Ph.D.; Joshua Schier, MD; Amy Wolkin, DrPH conducted these experiments.
It is well known in the world of chemistry that several hand sanitizers contain a large percentage of alcohol. The CDC writes that they are more efficient at killing microorganisms and better tolerated than soap and water.
Some of the hand sanitizers have up to 60%–95% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol by volume, and are often combined with pleasant smelling scents that might be appealing to young children. Recent reports have identified serious consequences, including cessation of breathing, producing an excess of acid in the blood, coma, and even death in young children who drank hand sanitizer.
Here are some tips that might save lives:
*Those "terrible two-year-olds are quite inquisitive. At this age, they need to have "set boundary" as not to harm themselves.
*Consider purchasing hand sanitizers that are difficult for small children to open.
*Consider placing sanitizers high in a cabinet, where it is remarkably difficult for the young child to reach. Up high is typically better than storing potentially toxic items on a sink top or in the cabinet space under the sink.
*Keep the number for poison control handy-1-800-222-1222
*If the child collapses, has a seizure, has difficulty breathing or can't be awakened:CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY